What will pop up in your mind if you have to say something about Dachshund? Hmm, it’s a dog breed with funny looking, long back and four short legs. It sounds interesting, and what else? This article will give you the Dachshund facts and information in more detailed that help you know more about this recognizable dog breed.
Step Back And Discover The History Of Dachshund
The Dachshund was bred in Germany a hundred years ago to hunt badgers. The name of this breed is the combination between “Dachs” meaning “badger” and “hund” meaning “dog”. Although badger was not the Dachshund’s only prey, that’s what Dachshund was bred for at first and why it got that name. In fact, Dachshund was used for hunting foxes, deer, hares, rabbits and weasels. It depends on the type and size of Dachshund to choose the suitable prey for hunting.
The Dachshund Recognizable Features
The first feature of Dachshund is the long back. Because of the long back, Dachshund looks very funny and adorable in a special way. A lot of cartoonists and toy makers are inspired by Dachshund image. Do you remember the Slinky Dog which has a long back made of a helical spring in Toy Story animation?
The second one is the cute short muscular leg. If Dachshund can speak the human language, it may say “Life is short, so are my legs”. These short legs enable them to dig and fight with the badgers, even with other animals.
Next, the long face is one of Dachshund’s recognizable features. This long face makes them look more knowledgeable like a professor.
Last but not least, the floppy ears are the easy feature to know it’s a Dachshund. It’s so cute if you look Dachshund runs with the floppy ears which are waving up and down in the air.
Take A Look At Some Dachshund Varieties
Dachshund breed has 3 coat types: smooth (shorthaired), wirehaired and longhaired.
They also come in 3 sizes as a fully grown: miniature (around 11 pounds), tweenie (between 11 and 16 pounds) and standard (between 16 and 32 pounds).
However, the miniature Dachshund is the most popular so many people forget the other 2 sizes exist. If you find some miniature Dachshund facts, you will definitely fall in love with this adorable breed such as:
- Miniature Dachshunds may small but it’s an extremely good watchdog, they have quite loud bark and quickly inform the owner if there is something strange happens in their environment. Sometimes, they bark at nothing just because they love their voices.
- They love playing the interactive games and to be close to people.
- They hate being left on their own for a long period. So if you are a so busy owner, you should have to consider this point.
- Miniature Dachshunds are not a good swimmer, you should not take them to the place near a lake or river in case they can fall in the water by accident.
- Miniature Dachshunds are the star of the city dogs which can be happy to live in an apartment.
- Miniature Dachshund may not a good choice for the first time owner because they are hard to train without experience and it is stubborn somehow.
Fascinating Things To Know About Dachshunds
Everything has two sides of the coin, so does the long back of Dachshund. The long back is one of the most recognizable features, it is also prone to a disk problem. Besides, Dachshunds are the active dogs loving jumping. Because of the long back, it is very easy to make them slip and injure themselves when jumping off the furniture or your arms. Being a Dachshund owner, you should notice this to take care of your Dachshunds better, especially hold them in the proper way to support their full frame.
Although Dachshunds love outdoor activities, it is very easy for them to gain weight quickly causing the back problem and other health issues. A healthy Dachshund can live around 16 years to be the best companion. If you love your four-legged friend, it’s time to pay attention to the balanced diet and exercise.
Dachshunds temperament is very interesting, it’s loveable and dependable. They are extremely loyal and have the strong bond with the single owner or whole family members. They have the true instinct of hunting that leads to the dynamic and active personalities. They love running around, chasing the small animals, fervently barking and digging a few holes sometimes. They do love outdoor but it still okay for them to be happy inside a house as long as they have something to play with. Yeah, Dachshund has a playful nature so you should spend a lot of playtime with them.
If you have a Dachshund at home, there must be the things only dachshund owners understand. Have you ever wondered why the dachshunds like to sleep under blankets?
Sleeping and relaxing in the cozy place to feel warm and safe comes naturally for any kind of dogs. However, for Dachshunds – the small-prey hunters, they tend to show their heritage of finding out small animals from their tunnels by burrowing in the blankets. It’s like the children pretend to play a game and enjoy it in their own way.
Interesting Facts About The Dachshund Breed
• The miniature Dachshund is not a vulnerable breed. In contrast, they are one of the most popular dogs in the UK.
• They are the smallest hunting breed in the American Kennel Club (AKC) Hound Group. They are brave, tenacious and independent when hunting, don’t underestimate them.
• Waldi, which was the first official Olympic mascot created for the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich, was inspired by Dachshund image.
• Queen Victoria was a big fan of this breed with the famous saying: “Nothing will turn a man’s home into a castle more quickly and effectively than a Dachshund.”
• One of Picasso’s favorite dogs was a Dachshund called “Lump”.
No matter what size of Dachshund, the Dachshunds are a delightful addition to any families. Their cute appearances and personalities will make your life more colorful and joyful. Hope that this article can give you a general look and find more interesting Dachshund facts and information. Enjoy the precious time with your beloved furry friends.